Thursday, July 30, 2009

D.C.--Days 2-5

Again, let me start off by saying, that if you are here for artwork, there won't be any for a while. Just a journal of our trip. Sorry.

Sadly, I have no more pictures to post because the rest of the pics are on my other camera. I forgot the cord to connect it to my computer, and I don't have a card reader for that particular card. I may have to pick one up.

With all the riding we've done, the boys are now experts at riding the Metro, and all of us feel like our feet are going to fall off :)

Day 2--We went to the #1 place on the kids list of things they want to do--The Air and Space Museum. We had a great time, even with the walking detour thanks to me being directionally challenged. There was a lot to see and do. Afterward, the boys made a mess with a couple of Sponge Bob Popsicles.

For dinner, we took the train up a stop and ate at Cheesecake Factory. I didn't want to eat somewhere we could have at home, but the cheesecake was calling my name. I can't resist cheesecake. For the second night in a row, Brendan fell asleep in the restaurant.

Day 3--Highlight--the National Aquarium. Boys loved all the fish and sea creatures. On the way back, we tried to go to the White House. We got sent back because all roads were blocked. I was thinking that maybe the motorcade was going to come through since people were waiting with cameras, but the boys wouldn't wait. They were too hot and tired. We headed back to the hotel to swim instead.

When Mike got back, we headed out to Pentagon City for dinner. Last time we were here the huge mall there had a wonderful Discovery Channel store and a Ruby Tuesdays. The mall was still there, but the two places we wanted were not. We ended up crossing the street and going to California Pizza Kitchen--yummy!

Day 4--
We went to the National Zoo today. We picked the perfect day. It's been in the 90's, but this day was only around 80. It was really muggy, but at least not too hot. The pandas were a definite highlight, as well as a presentation about Kiwis where we got to see a Kiwi up close and personal. Brendan had a tough time. The walking is really starting to wear on him. But he is at that age where even suggesting a stroller send him into a tantrum. We limped along, with lots of rests, and managed to spend 4 hours at the zoo. We came back to the hotel and the boys drove me nuts!! We couldn't go swimming because it was raining. They were fighting and whining. By the time Mike was home, I was ready to ship them back on a plane to Grandma!!

We decided to stay in Bethesda for dinner. We must have walked past 15 restaurants the boys vetoed. Then Austin decided since he was holding my hand, he was going to cross the street with his eyes closed. Needless to say, he tripped over the curb and cut open his toe--fun! I told him if you want to do something that silly, at least tell someone so they can warn you of the upcoming curb--LOL! We finally ended up in a neighboring hotel restaurant, that let's just say was WAYYYY overpriced! We came back and crashed.

Which brings us to today. We are switching hotels today. Mike's work only paid through today, and this hotel is full for the weekend. That means we are only here until 2:00, then when Mike gets back, we'll switch. The boys and I are going to relax here for a while, then maybe see a movie.


Vicki said...

Did you go to the National Aquarium in the Department of Commerce Building? If so, that's where I work.

scrappernic said...

That is where we went, Vicki! THe boys loved it!

Sparkle said...

Glad you're having a great time in DC!

tannersmummy said...

I'm loving reading about your days. Thanks for sharing. Missing you guys here. :)