Friday, October 8, 2010

Light the Night 2010

Last night we participated in the Light the Night walk for the second year in a row. If you aren't aware, they raise money and awareness for Leukemia and Lymphoma. Last year, we did it with Austin's class. Earlier this week, I got an email about it, and Austin was adamant that we do it again. He said it was fun and it helps those with cancer, so we should do it. How do you argue with that.

This year, it had even more meaning for us. This past year, my cousin Jenn was diagnosed with Leukemia. So this year we walked for her and the millions of others battling cancer. In the last 15 years, our family has been hit hard, and it is very emotional for me.
A few stories stood out as we were on the walk. The first was the lady next to us in a wheel chair wearing a surgical mask. She is currently undergoing treatment and wanted to be a part of the walk. A football team, probably around 13/14 was all walking together. The mom of the boy carrying the survivor balloon was next to us. She was saying how even though this marks nine years, it still brings tears to her eyes when she thinks about how close she was to losing him. The last was a boy probably around 14, wearing a survivor shirt. Walking with him were two of his friends who were wearing "Top Fundraiser" t-shirts.
I hear the statistics and think of my own family members who have fought the battle. Seeing the faces last night, hearing their stories, seeing the people with the stickers and signs honoring friends and family members, reminds me that every number is someone's loved one. Each number is someone undergoing treatment, someone doing their best to put on a brave face and fight. To see the faces of so many survivors brought tears to my eyes. Seeing so many come out and support the cause was a moving experience. I will always be willing to devote money and time toward finding a cure. I just wish I no longer had to!



Brendan not to sure about the threatening thunderstorm. Luckily, it never did reach us!



As for today, I have the day off, and the boys went to Tumble Time for the day--woohoo! I've been doing laundry and cleaning, but now it's time to break out the stamps and get inky :) Hopefully I'll have some fun goodies to post later!










No comments: