Saturday, January 19, 2013

Curling Up With a Good Book (I wish!)

As anyone who knows me can attest, I LOVE books!  Reading a good book is one of my favorite things in the world, a fact my family just accepts, even when it means I am completely tuning them out. Sadly, I haven't had much time as of late.  While I love my job, the demands of teaching, grading and editing writing in particular, sometimes overwhelm my time.  As a result, I have a serious backlog of books.


My growing pile of books to read.

At the beginning of December, we had our school book fair.  Between the gifts from generous and parent and the spending of some of my teacher funds, I racked up a number of young adult books.  I like to read them before I put them in my classroom.  Then I received a number of Barnes and Noble gift cards for Christmas, and right now for teacher appreciation they are offering 25% anything for teachers (not just books for the classroom).   I added a few more to my ever-growing collection, including Divergent and Insurgent, which my students have been telling me I HAVE TO READ.  I love that my students come to me to share books they've loved and ask for recommendations.  I just wish I had more time to spend reading!  The above photo doesn't even deal with my Kindle list!  Mike bought me a new Kindle for Christmas, which I am loving.  I have a bunch more books on there I'm working on.   He bought me Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.  He heard about them on NPR and knew I would like them because they take my place during the time of Henry VIII, my favorite historical fiction time period.  Such a thoughtful hubby!

I have one more setting of writing to grade before I can reward myself with some serious reading time.  With the temperatures like this, maybe there's a chance.

On the other hand, today is National Popcorn Day, so I'm sensing some movie time in our future, too.  



No comments: